I use a 667 MHz G4 DA 1.5 GB SDRAM with OS 10.4. 11 installed. When I bought
this machine it had an Adaptec 2906 PCI card in it to which at different times
I connected three SCSI external HDs which have 10.2.8, 10.3.9 and 10.4.11
respectively installed.  I could read/write to and from each of these three
SCSI HDs and with the two internal IDE HDs installed but could not boot from
either of these external SCSI HDs.  Note: I use the extrernal HDs for archiving
and I would also like to be able to boot from them as well

I tried different Adaptec PCI cards but none would allow me to boot from an
external SCSI  HD connected to the G4 DA.

I contacted Adaptec and they informed me that their PCI cards did not support
booting from SCSI external HDs in OS X with their PCI cards although I still
could boot when using OS 9.1 thorugh 9.2.2.

Finally I installed an ATTO Express PCI Pro UL2D in slot-4 and voila I can now
boot from an external HD that has OS X installed up though 10.4.11 (I don't
know about 10.5.5).  I have been informed that the ATTO UL3D PCI card might
also work but I have no personal knowledge that it will.

Those external HDs had 10.2.8, 10.3.9 and 10.4.11 installed respectively in
three different external SCSI HDs.

FYI

ATTO versus Adaptec; Quantum versus Seagate