On Oct 24, 2008, at 2:36 AM, Mel wrote:

> I use a 667 MHz G4 DA 1.5 GB SDRAM with OS 10.4. 11 installed. When
> I bought this machine it had an Adaptec 2906 PCI card in it to
> which at different times I connected three SCSI external HDs which
> have 10.2.8, 10.3.9 and 10.4.11 respectively installed.  I could
> read/write to and from each of these three SCSI HDs and with the
> two internal IDE HDs installed but could not boot from either of
> these external SCSI HDs.  Note: I use the extrernal HDs for
> archiving and I would also like to be able to boot from them as well
>
> I tried different Adaptec PCI cards but none would allow me to boot
> from an external SCSI  HD connected to the G4 DA.

Curious if Xpostfacto 4 Helper disk would work on a Digital Audio and
SCSI (wish I had that one in lieu of my PCI Graphics Yikes! - but am
happy with what has transpired regarding the Adaptec AUA-3020A FW/
USB2 card and Xpostfacto 4/Helper).

> I contacted Adaptec and they informed me that their PCI cards did
> not support booting from SCSI external HDs in OS X with their PCI
> cards although I still could boot when using OS 9.1 thorugh 9.2.2.

They might work with Xpostfacto 4/Helper disk idea ... even though
dubbed "Not Supported" by Adaptec ...

> Finally I installed an ATTO Express PCI Pro UL2D in slot-4 and
> voila I can now boot from an external HD that has OS X installed up
> though 10.4.11 (I don't know about 10.5.5).  I have been informed
> that the ATTO UL3D PCI card might also work but I have no personal
> knowledge that it will.

10.5.5 is a different beast ... when it comes to USB 2 as well!

Thanks, Mel.

Bill Connelly
artsite: http://mysite.verizon.net/moonstoneartstudio
myspace: http://www.myspace.com/moonstoneartstudio