At 8:19 PM -0500 10/26/2008, Kris Tilford wrote:
>On Oct 26, 2008, at 7:04 PM, Wilton Shaw wrote:
>  >  I am about to add a new external HD to my eMac, which is using OS
>>  10.5.5. I want to use it as a backup drive.
>>  Should I use CCC to copy everything from my internal HD, or should I
>>  install OS 10.5 with the CD and add each program that I want.
>
>You're running Leopard. Why not use Time Machine with your new
>external HD as backup?

heh.  Partition the new external drive into two volumes.

Volume A -- MacHD Backup - the same size as your internal HD.

Volume B -- Time Machine Backup - the rest of the drive.

Do a CCC or SD backup to MacHD Backup -- so you'll have a full backup
in a *known* state to boot from if you need.  Update it monthly or
just *before* you apply a round of Apple updates to your internal.

Let Time Machine use the other volume.  And when it farks up, you can
wipe it out and still have that other volume as your primary backup.

Maybe sometime Time Machine will be ready to run without training wheels...

- Dan.
--
- Psychoceramic Emeritus; South Jersey, USA, Earth