On Oct 27, 2008, at 9:53 PM, Wilton Shaw wrote:

>> I installed my new external HD, partitioned it into two partitions,
>> made the first one the same size as my internal drive (80gb ). I
>> called it "MAC HD BACKUP" and copied my internal HD on to it, using
>> SuperDuper which then supposedly made it bootable. When I went to
>> System Preferences and clicked on startup disks it did not show up.

>>      What happened?

Perhaps you're new HD was the wrong format? I believe you're on an
eMac, meaning you'd need the PPC format to boot successfully, it's the
one called "Apple Partition Scheme". Since you're running Leopard, I
believe that Leopard's default format for Disk Utility is "GUID
Partition Scheme" which is what the Intel Macs use. If you simply
partitioned a OEM HD it likely was formatted as "FAT32" which is a
Windows format.

I'd make sure the partition format is correct. To check, open Disk
Utility, highlight the HD and go the the "Partition" tab. The current
partition format should be shown at the bottom under "Partition Map
Scheme". If it is correct, then your clone likely failed. Try Carbon
Copy Cloner in "block mode". If it'd not correct, you'll need to start
again by repartitioning the HD using the correct "Apple Partition
Scheme".