On Nov 9, 2008, at 6:24 AM, Charles Davis wrote:

> On Nov 8, 2008, at 10:55 PM, Jonas Lopez wrote:
>

>> Can you have both 10.2 AND 10.4 on same disk?
>
> YES   ---> use separate partitions!

That's how you do it.

>> Some programs do not have newer versions, so to run them you need
>> to run older 10.2

Not necessarily. Most programs that run in 10.2 will work in 10.4
unless they're specific 10.2 utilities and the like. What specific
programs have you run into like that?

>> just like we did for 8 and 9 long ago. But with 8
>> and 9, the demands were less stringent than those of 10.*.
>>
>> Do all 10s require you to be in the first 4GB of the disk?
>
> NO  [I think it's a 'hardware dependent' sort of thing. I.E older G3
> & G4 systems primarily.

NO system ever required OS X to be in the first 4 GB of a disk.

Beige G3's, the Wallstreet Powerbook G3, and the first-gen iMacs, AND
ONLY THOSE SYSTEMS required OSX (version 10.1 and 10.2) to be
installed in a maximum 8 Gb boot volume, which had to be the first
partition on the boot device.

>> How could you then have both 10s working?

You can't, barring running it in a virtual machine, which can be done
in a limited fashion on Intel Macs ( see a recent MacOSX Hints item on
doing this)

>> What does 10.4 require?

Official requirements for OS X 10.4 are here
<http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1514

Note this is official requirements;  the installer will run and Apple
will support OS X on these systems.

--
Bruce Johnson

"No matter where you go, there you are", B. Banzai