Bruce Johnson wrote:

> On Nov 9, 2008, at 6:24 AM, Charles Davis wrote:
>

>> On Nov 8, 2008, at 10:55 PM, Jonas Lopez wrote:
>>
>>> Can you have both 10.2 AND 10.4 on same disk?
>> YES   ---> use separate partitions!

>>> Do all 10s require you to be in the first 4GB of the disk?
>> NO  [I think it's a 'hardware dependent' sort of thing. I.E older G3
>> & G4 systems primarily.
>
> NO system ever required OS X to be in the first 4 GB of a disk.
>
> Beige G3's, the Wallstreet Powerbook G3, and the first-gen iMacs, AND
> ONLY THOSE SYSTEMS required OSX (version 10.1 and 10.2) to be
> installed in a maximum 8 Gb boot volume, which had to be the first
> partition on the boot device.

The specific requirement is that the boot volume (and thus it's
partition) must be completely in the first 8Gb.  That's actually the
requirement of the installer.  The real hardware limitation is that
files used in the boot process up to some point must be within the first
8Gb.

Basically the boot firmware doesn't know how to access files beyond 8Gb.

You could build a system on a disk partition larger than 8Gb using a
different computer and then boot it on one of the above machines.  But
if any critical file got moved above 8Gb it won't boot.

--
Clark Martin
Redwood City, CA, USA