Sort of moving away from the topic ... but something to be aware of
in Leopard:

On Nov 10, 2008, at 11:07 PM, tonycd wrote:

> My Quicksilver 867 has a Radeon 9700 that System Profiler recognizes
> as a 9800 Pro, and it runs Classic 9.2 perfectly.

My dual 1GHz gets stuck with a gray screen, using my ATI Radeon
9800Pro, when trying to startup into 9.2.2. I did read that the ATI
Radeon is supported in OS X ... any fixes required for OS 9.2.2
installed before the Radeon was installed?

> By the way, what's this Deinterlacing thing?

Here is what Leopard DVD Player Help has to say (apologies for
reproducing it here ... it seems to be Leopard specific, and people
may not have access to it unless they're running Leopard ... maybe on
Apple's site?):

*****

Using deinterlacing
DVD players typically convert interlaced video (a sequence of fields)
into a non-interlaced sequence of frames. This process, called
deinterlacing, usually produces better picture quality. This is
especially true for television shows, which are often interlaced when
put on DVD.

WIth DVD Player, you can choose to enable or disable deinterlacing,
as well as select the viewing quality of the deinterlaced picture.

To use deinterlacing:

While the DVD is inserted, choose View > Deinterlacing and choose to
enable or disable it.

If you enable deinterlacing, choose a picture quality:

Optimal Quality: DVD Player automatically selects the best setting.
DVD Player indicates which setting it chose by placing a diamond
symbol next to the setting.

Good Quality: An acceptable quality that does not impact other
processes running on your computer.

Better Quality: The highest quality, which can cause other processes
on your computer to run more slowly. If your computer doesn't support
this level of quality, the option is dimmed.

*****

In Leopard ... My User cpu usage goes from 80-90% (Deinterlacing Off)
up to 150% (dual 1GHz) when using Deinterlacing. System usage
curiously goes down. Other processes become choppy (Dock, Mouse
usage, etc). I noticed a small change in quality when replaying a B&W
TV Show DVD of a Bill Evans Trio performance.

Bill Connelly
artsite: http://mysite.verizon.net/moonstoneartstudio
myspace: http://www.myspace.com/moonstoneartstudio