Time to try the 'PRAM Reset' routine (Unknown garbage in PRAM
settings can cause some rather strange situations.)

While 'booting' (Immediately after pressing the power button) Hold
down the 'alt/option', 'command' (apple), 'p', and 'r' keys.
Continue holding these keys depressed for at least 3 'Chimes', (more
chimes may be better, I usually stop with three, unless things still
seem to be screwed up, then 5 or more chimes seems to work.)

This SHOULD get you back to the place where you can successfully boot
one of the system CDs using the 'c' key while booting.

Chuck D.