On Dec 3, 2008, at 12:14 PM, Maestro_T wrote:

> In the wonderful world of PC's, you can set things up (Bios,
> peripherals etc) via an 'F' key during initial start up.  This
> usually can be done even if there are no memory modules or hard drive
> attached.  Is this sort of thing possible on Macs?

No. You can't do anything without RAM, other than get the "beep"
warning of "no RAM". I've messed with PCs a bit, I've never heard
about starting a PC without RAM? I don't see how this would be
possible unless there was RAM soldered to the motherboard. I recently
resurrected a supposed dead PC and was instructed to startup without
RAM to check the "beep" warning, but it was never mentioned you could
access BIOS without RAM. I think you're mistaken about starting a PC
without RAM?

You wouldn't need a HD necessarily. With one module of RAM you could
boot a CD/DVD. If you could find a copy of the Apple Hardware Test
(AHT) disc for this G5 that would tell you if it was good or not?
There also is an Apple Service Diagnostic (ASD) disc for this Mac, but
finding either of these will be difficult. The AHT should have came
with the G5 when new, the ASD isn't normally available but there are
copies on the P2P sites from time-to-time. In either case, you need
the "exact" version for your Mac.

If there is no optical drive, you can boot using Target Disk Mode from
another Mac as I described in the previous thread "Upgrading to 10.4 -
No DVD Drive".