First off, you can't swap a drive from a beige G3 into a G4 an expect
it to boot; it won't have the proper drivers/extensions for a G4. It
doesn't mean there was anything wrong with the hard drive.
You didn't really get a good "clean install" because your Mac found an
old printer you no longer use. The System folder was replaced but
other info (like printer preferences) remained. Make sure you have
back up copies of all your applications, games, documents, etc. To get
a really fresh clean install use your OS X Disk Utility to reformat
the 20 GB hard drive using the option "write zeroes"; make sure to use
the option to install OS 9 drivers. Everything on the drive will be
erased. Then use your OS 9 CD, it will modify the drivers and install
OS 9.2.2
Since you have 20 GB to play with you might consider splitting this
drive into 2 partitions and installing duplicate OS 9.2.2 systems.
When you are in OS X use System Preferences to designate one of them
as "Classic". OS X will make some alterations, sometimes referred to
as 'blessing' the system. Save the other OS 9 as 'unblessed'. Why?
Some OS 9 applications will not run in Classic mode and you need to
boot into an unblessed system to use them.