Joe, I had a similar problem when I installed 10.4 on my DA. I ended
up just
clicking on the keychain dialog box with no password entered, and it
accepted
that. I added a separate password for keychain later, but I'd have to
fiddle around
in the dialog boxes to remember how I did that.

Keychain is a separate application from the main OS sysadmin password,
and as
I recall, if you forget the Keychain password, you're stuck and lose
your passwords.
I don't know about 10.3, but you might try just clicking on the
keychain dialog box
on a lark and see if it works.
- Michael B. in Cincinnati