On Dec 10, 2008, at 10:46 AM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> So that's the upside.   What am I overlooking as the downside to using
> a laptop as the center of a destop system?

Typically laptops have slower hard drives, and less capable video than
desktop systems

Looking at Apple's specs the Macbook has a 5400 RPM 2.5" 160gb drive,
and an nVidia geForce 9400 chipset with 256 megs shared RAM, and
supports up to 2 gigs total ram.

The iMac 20" has a 7200 RPM 3.5" 250G drive, an ATI Radeon video
chipset with 128mb dedicated RAM (which is faster), and supports up to
4 gigs RAM.

A 5400 rpm 2.5" drive isn't much slower than a faster 3.5" drive, but
the capacity difference is pretty sizeable.

The iMac also has firewire, both 400 and 800, and more USB ports than
the MacBook.

On the downside it's not nearly as portable.

Portability is the key...if you have a need to take your main system
with you somewhere, then a laptop is the way to go; if not, you're
getting more value for your money by buying the desktop.

A laptop used as a desktop replacement can be put on a laptop cooler
so overheating will be less of an issue.

--
Bruce Johnson
University of Arizona