[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Thanks for all the good thoughts about upgrading from G4 to either G5
> or Intel  iMac.  It was very helpful.
>
> Another option I am toying with is replacing my G4 tower with a
> Macbook laptop,  We already have one as a family computer and it is
> great.  I also have one at work.  I could integrate one into my
> desktop system like an iMac, use the pair of 19" monitors I already
> have  (the Matrox DualHead2Go works very well with a MacBook.  I use
> one at work in a theatrical set up with a pair of projectors.)  It
> looks as though MacBooks of similar speed are about the same price as
> iMacs, though if you look at a 24 iMac you can do a lot better with a
> laptop and external monitors.   And I really like the trackpad on
> MacBooks, useful in addition to my trackball and other input devices.
>
> So that's the upside.   What am I overlooking as the downside to using
> a laptop as the center of a destop system?  If I push it hard for a
> long time, will it overheat? Do internals last as long?  What am I
> missing?
>
> Rich

After reading the many posts in this group over the past year, I have
come to the conclusion that the best route is the high end selection of
Apple products offers better reliability and much better serviceability.

Anything such as an i-anything, Macbook or mini for that matter are much
more difficult to service or modify. There is a very clear difference
with respect for the industrial engineering attributes of consumer vs.
professional products from Apple.

I do remember fondly my ol' clamshell iBook that worked perfectly but
had to be completely disassembled just to install a larger hard drive.

I finally replaced the clamshell with a G4 Powerbook 1.25 GHz, full 2 GB
ram and 7200 rpm hd. It's been a woderful machine that I only use when
traveling or to get updates from one of my friends that has broadband.

IOW, I would much prefer an older professional level computer vs a brand
new Macbook or iMac.

But that's just me...

JT