Maybe you just got a bad copy of 10.4. I have run 10.4 for on a G3 imac, G3
powermac, two G3 ibooks, two G4 powerbooks, two G4 powermacs and a G4 emac.
They all run perfectly. My guess is that you just got a bad 10.4 installer.
You might also want to see if you have the latest firmware version for that
machine...
-Jonas