"VLC is a nice media player, for the specific small subset of codecs
it handles, but it can also be VERY crashy and is often much more CPU
intensive than QuickTime.

As for not needing QuickTime... Um... So you're saying that you NEVER
EVER view any graphics or video of any type in any application on
your Mac, except within VLC.   Hint:  It's all QuickTime.  ALL.

I think you're saying you just prefer VLC over QuickTIme Player?
Dan"
end Quote

I'm not going to argue the fine points of me never using Quicktime.
I've not set my web browsers to use VLC etc. I do have to take issue
with " VLC...specific small subset of codecs it handles,but it can be
Very crashy..."
I haven' t found a single Video file codecs type that VLC doesn't
handle and play better then Quicktime even with Perian added. While
VLC may have crashed from time to time a couple of years that was a
long time ago. Try a version from the last year or two. I can't say
it's better on all machines but I can say try it and see what you
think. After all Vinyl often sounds better on a modern quality machine
then an original record player ;-) .   Will