Ernest L. Gunerius wrote:
> A process named mds running at Root is taking 99% of the CPU on my
> Dual 500 GigE.
>
> This is my fault for not running AHT immediately after my System
> Crashed a week ago.
>
> The crash consisted of the monitor going dark and on restart the
> monitor flashed briefly as the System. booted. This happened for
> about four restarts and then stayed dark.
>
> On the few flashes the screen displayed White Text on Black screen.
> on the final flash a Black "worm" shaped area was seen near the
> center of the Hyundai B90A 19 inch LCD.
>
> The flashes lasted only a few seconds.
>
> Thinking "Bad Monitor" I went to Staples and found a bargain on a
> ACER 22 inch LCD and then the trouble really began with many KP's and
> very slow response from Safari 3 and Camino 1.5.
>
> I tried to do a SuperDuper BU to my other drive but that failed. To
> keep this short all I tried has resulted in my having lost most of my
> saved recent Email and all of my acquired Applications.
>
> I have two SATA drives in the GigE a 500G partitioned 80G and 420G and a 250G.
>
> The 250G was my Boot Drive with a SuperDuper clone of the 250G on on
> the 420G Volume. The 80G had OS9.2.2 on it.
>
> Now I have OS10.4.11 on the 80G and the other two volumes have been erased
>
> However, with no Apps running, Activity Monitor shows that a process
> named mds is running at Root and  is taking 99% of the CPU. Causing
> both Safari and Camino to panic whenever I try to use them.
>
> Eudora seems to be running fine.
>
> This is after I ran AHT and found a bad 128M Ram card which I
> removed. Before found and removed the bad stick I managed to corrupt
> all systems and lost my stuff by Booting from all available Systems.
> None of the stuff was critical and recovery of which will give me
> time to ponder the ill spent days just past. Hopefully to my
> betterment.
>
> My immediate problem is the mds Process using all the CPU and the
> curious fact that Disk Utility will neither Test, Repair or erase the
> 250G or the 420G drives and reports they cannot be Unmounted. I have
> Shut down and restarted several time with no change in that report.
>
> I checked Terminal for (man mds) and (man unmount) and was told they
> do not exist in man files.
>
> Can some one tell me how to get out of this mess? I would like to
> start over with clean OS10.4.11 Systems. And I will get at least one
> External large HD for Xmas. A day I hope you all enjoy.
>
> ErnieG

mds is Spotlight indexing your drive(s).

Leave it for an hour or so, and it should finish.

Can't remember offhand where the Spotlight index is to be found, but if
it's corrupt (not unknown) no doubt a real guru will reply telling you.

You can stop it by dragging your drive(s) to the privacy section (dont
index) of the Spotlight control panel in System Preferences - but that
will stop searches.

Ted