On Mon, 2008-12-22 at 02:19 -0600, Stephen Conrad wrote:
> > I see this like this whole Compact Florescent effort that we've
> > bought into.  The mercury in them makes them one of the worst
> > technologies we've ever used.  If you break one at home, technically,
> >

> But you are right on the whole mercury thing (the companies say they
> are working on this) and when they do burn out you are NOT supposed to
> toss them in the trash (Hazardous Waste Disposal is the stream theya
> re supposed to go in).

 Howdy,
  I had been looking to get rid of incandescent bulbs, but the mercury
problem usually stopped me.  And now I don't worry about it.  Compact
fluorescent are old tech now.  Just like Apple moved to LEDs for their
LCD backlighting, you can too.  Walmart has nice LED lights that plug
into a standard edison base for under 6 dollars.  I don't know about
other sources, but competition is bound to bring them.  I have one room
and a closet lit with these LED bulbs and they are fine.  The biggest
limitation is brightness.  They are a little under the equivalence of a
40 watt bulb.  The room I lit uses 3 lights under a ceiling fan and a
floor lamp.  If you need a single bright bulb, the LED replacements are
still too expensive.
 I don't work for Walmart(or their LED bulb supplier) or have stock or
any affiliation other than being a customer.
Good day,
Ralph