On Dec 23, 2008, at 12:52 PM, Paul wrote:

> Even with fluorescents, supposedly the mercury in them is less than
> the mercury released by the coal that might have been burned to make
> the extra electricity for incandescent lights.
>
> But LED's are even better, unless their manufacture or disposal
> involves something hazardous that I don't know about...

Nope, the issue with LED's right now is their high cost. But they're
rapidly finding a big niche in the industrial and public sectors. The
vastly superior lifespan of LED's has lead to an almost wholesale
acceptance of their use in things like Traffic Signals, for example.

Closer to home, I've gone from early November to now with a single set
of 3 AAA batteries in my bicycle headlight and it shows no sign of
diminishing, versus the two weeks max I used to get out of the
incandescent one.

--
Bruce Johnson
University of Arizona