I'm surprised nobody's mentioned HP yet. Maybe it's because their
recent consumer models are a far cry from their venerable Laserjets.

I print a lot of text, and use a Kodak kiosk at a supermarket for
occasional photos, so I got a used HP laser printer (no color), the
Laserjet 2200d. (The "d" means duplexing. The 2200 prints one side
only.) I use it with a PC, but there are postscript drivers for it for
OS X, OS 9, and probably earlier. It probably was an office machine
made for use by a small workgroup. It's not hard for one reasonably
strong person to carry, easier than a 17" CRT monitor.

The older HP's are very durable and inexpensive as used models (people
often give away ones in very good condition around here), and the
toner cartridges tend to hold more toner than the later consumer
models. That makes them cost a lot less per page. Someone gave me a
Laserjet 5mp, which has postscript, a parallel port, and an older
round Apple Talk port, but no USB.

HP isn't particularly known for its color laser printers, but their
better monochrome Laserjets have an excellent reputation and last
forever. Their recent consumer stuff isn't known for durability or low
cost per page.

Most of the Laserjets with a good reputation use a Canon printing
engine. For instance, the Canon LBP-32X engine is in all of these
printers:

Canon LBP-1000
Canon LBP-32X
Canon P 100