On Dec 23, 2008, at 11:24 AM, Kyle Hansen wrote:

>> My LaserWriters remain available for the few times when I need
>> absolute PostScript compatibility.
>
> Most Laserwriters were made by HP with an apple logo stamped on at
> the end.

The RIP ... the "brains" in LaserWriters ... is an Apple design,
using a PostScript interpreter licensed from Adobe, with fonts
licensed from Linotype/Hell.

The later LaserWriters appeared to be completely assembled by Canon,
with the exception of the RIP board, which was supplied assembled and
tested by Apple.

The early LaserWriters had the ABS plastic top made by Apple and
applied, with the RIP board and its card cage, by Apple after
importing it.

So, mostly made by Canon, and never made by HP.

HP bought the very same marking Canon CX/SX/EX etcetera engines which
Apple bought.