On 12/28/08, Dan <dantear...@gmail.com> wrote:

> At 11:33 AM -0600 12/28/2008, Stephen Conrad wrote:
>>Periodically I get what looks like a file name on the desktop or in
>>folders but when I click on it it then disappears.
>
> What do the names look like?
> What apps are running at the time?
> And of course, the standard questions:  Mac, OS, etc...

B&W G3
10.2.8 (long story on why my 10.4.11 machine is not here yet)

Usually I have Firefox, Terminal, Yahoo! IM and TextEdit,
occassionally I also have Safari running

This is a newish thing that is happening.

> Finder is so wonky with maintaining sync with the actual directories
> on disk... I've seen temp files show up then vanish quickly.  Mostly
> happens on slower Macs.  Haven't seen it happen on the Desktop since
> the last time I used Acrobat (instead of Preview) - l...@#$% Adobe
> crapware that was using Desktop for scratch files instead of the
> normal tmp directories etc.
>
>>  I ran Disk Utility and Repaired this HD's Permissions but it still
>> happens.
>
> What did you think repairing permissions would do?  That function
> takes a list of KNOWN system and application files and "corrects" the
> permissions on them - that's all.  It does NOTHING to files within
> /Users.  It does NOTHING towards repairing the file system itself.
> And worse, as we've said over and over... IF there is an error in a
> receipts file - which has happened repeatedly - then it puts the
> WRONG permissions on files, so it will actually BREAK things.
>
> Repairing Permissions unnecessarily is like scrubbing your car with a
> wire brush.  It's not something you should do because the engine is
> running roughly.

Well, it did say a bunch of stuff needed fixing.
Also, Yahoo! IM had reset to its own default permissions in a few
areas (like alerting me when I get mail up at Yahoo!, a function I had
turned off).

--
Steve Conrad
Henrietta, MO 64036

"The time has come for mankind to grow up and leave its cradle behind;
to go forth and claim our place in outer space."
                   - Capt. Henry Gloval

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")