On Dec 28, 2008, at 11:11 AM, Stephen Conrad wrote:

>> What do the names look like?
>> What apps are running at the time?
>> And of course, the standard questions:  Mac, OS, etc...
>
> B&W G3
> 10.2.8 (long story on why my 10.4.11 machine is not here yet)

This is a very VERY common issue with Finder pre-10.4.

It's easily demonstrated:

start Terminal, which will land you in your home directory.

type:

cd Desktop

and hit return. Now you have a terminal window open to the Desktop
folder. type:

touch TestMe.txt

and hit return.

Watch while it takes Finder up to thirty or forty seconds to realize
that a new file was created.

When it appears on the Desktop, go back into the terminal window and
type:

rm TestMe.txt

And it will take as long for it to disappear.

Programs that create temp files where the original file is (Word is
one culprit) will sometimes show filed flickering into life and then
they're gone and still show on the Desktop.

If you've gone and enabled invisible files to be visible, this is even
worse.

--
Bruce Johnson

"No matter where you go, there you are", B. Banzai