On Jan 9, 2009, at 1:16 AM, g3-5-list group wrote:

> == 2 of 4 ==
> Date: Thurs, Jan 8 2009 2:28 pm
> From: Charles Davis
>
> On Jan 8, 2009, at 3:37 PM, nestamicky wrote:
>>

>> Al Poulin wrote:
>>
>>> I want to use a 1TB external Firewire hard drive initialized in
>>> Apple
>>> Partition Map to make bootable clones of a PPC G4 iBook and two or
>>> three Intel Macs.  Each source machine will have its own partition
>>> on
>>> the FW drive.  I plan to use "Incremental backup" for File level
>>> copying.
>>>
>> Your project here is perhaps the best yet use of larger harddrives
>> I've
>> seen in a short while. Most of us do file servers, but your idea
>> hear to
>> have bootable partitions of all your systems on an external HD is
>> great,
>> as it will save you so much time when something goes wrong.
>>
>> My question, and maybe Dan would pitch in, do size of the partition
>> on
>> the machine and that on the external drive have to be the exact same?
>
> Not DAN, but my opinion anyway,
>
> The partitions need to be big enough to hold the amount of data
> involved.
>
> I.E. A  "BOOT" partition, has to include vacant space to be 'run-
> able' !!!
>  A copy (clone) if you are not going to BOOT --- THAT partition,
> doesn't need to include that space.
> BUT, to check that things took properly, and so that you CAN
> operationally boot the 'clone', you will need to have that
> 'space' (less than 10% available 'empty space', leads to operational
> problems. [Don't ask how I know])

Thank you, Charles.
You know through conventional wisdom.  Or, with small drives or
volumes like a 40 GB drive, allow at least 7 GB of free space.

>>> Is there any utility in having a separate, bootable "universal"
>>> volume
>>> on my FW drive with its own copy of CCC?
>
> If you 'cloned' your OS partition, doesn't it include your copy of
> CCC?  It should, and when you boot that 'cloned copy' it will have
> CCC right ready there to use. [Just like you planned it!!!   ;-)]

Understood, but the CCC documentation was ambiguous as to what a "boot
drive" is, to the point of saying to boot from a drive other than the
boot drive.  So, having a separate bootable volume for all machines
seemed to be a way to have that third drive.

>>> Looking at CCC documentation for
>>> backing up "to another Macintosh on your network," it appears that
>>> this method cannot maintain a bootable clone, since the context
>>> deals
>>> with "selected data" to a "folder."  Correct?
>>>
> That may be a problem, doing 'incremental' updates to the 'cloned'
> copy. [I think it SHOULD work.]

That seems to be an angle to try out.  I will put some mileage on this
whole project before I attempt messing around in the root accounts to
make this network thing work.  But only if someone can tell me that it
WILL work.

Al Poulin