Okay... here's what I've done so far. I ran memtest in single user
mode, no problems found. I reran it on a regular restart, no problems
found. I used the Hardware Test from the Restore DVD, no problems
found. Internal DVD burner accepts 8x burn in preferences but still
refuses to burn faster than 1x/2x with both Toast 9.0.2 and Disk
Utility.

Hooked up Firewire DVD burner... burns discs (same brand/spool) at 8x
and even 12x and 16x in both Toast 9.0.2 and Disk Utility. Retried
internal burner and nothing changed from the 1x/2x maximum actual
burn.

Does any of this disprove bad RAM or prove ???  It's a refurbished
machine, 9 days with me. I burned maybe 10 DVDs prior to changing the
RAM, all at 8x. I noticed the problem after upgrading from the 2x1GB
sticks to 2x2GB RAM chips from OWC, using their branded RAM.
<http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other%20World%20Computing/6400DDR2S4MP/>

Tomorrow I'm going to clone the drive and reinstall the OS plus Toast
to see if I get the same results on the internal drive but if I don't
have to because someone sees a hint.... all the more better.

Steve R