At 8:20 AM -0800 2/1/2009, Sandymac wrote:

>I recently upgraded a Rev 1 B&W G3, replacing the original 300 mHz CPU
>with a 450 mHZ CPU from another B&W. I reset the jumpers to the 450
>settings.

Yum.  SmurfTower.  Love 'em.

Has the firmware been updated?  If not, do so.  Very important!

Did you reset the PMU (press the CUDA button) after replacing the processor?

You are aware of the rev 1 data corruption issues?

>Then I did a clean install of Tiger 10.4 on the original 6 GB, which
>took several tries but finally got done.

Several tries? Explain please.

>Then I ran 'software update' a few times (not every update showed up
>in the original search) and ran those updates. I took the precaution
>of running 'disk utilities/permissions repair' after each update.
>
>The B&W runs quite fast on Tiger 10.4.11 - but...
>
>It hangs frequently, especially when using Safari and Firefox, but
>even when running 'disk utility' sometimes. The cursor won't move, and
>after restarting, sometimes it runs OK for a while but always hangs
>again at some point.

What does it say in the system log?

Install AppleJack and the included Memtest.  Run Memtest overnight to
make sure the hardware is stable.

Is the system more stable if you slow it down?

>And after about half a day of frequent restarts, I noticed that the
>startup tone/chime doesn't sound - but I still hear other sounds (like
>the crunching of the 'empty trash' function).

That BONG indicates successful completion of the self-test.  If it
isn't sounding at all, then you have a severe hardware issue - PMU
(Power Manager Unit) or CPU.  If you get separate beeps, then the PMU
and CPU passed their tests, and it's complaining about a RAM or ROM
issue.

Unpower the computer.
   (I tend to do this with an external power strip; so the machine is
unpowered but still grounded).
Pull the PRAM battery.
   (this shuts down the PMU).
   (and since the machine is unpowered, it's zaps the PRAM).
Disconnect the HD.
   (eliminate variables in the issue).
Pull the memory.
   (eliminate another variable).
Install a fresh PRAM battery.
   (the old one is ok, IF you know it's good).
Apply power.
Wait about 30 seconds.
   (to ensure the PMU has been booted fully).
Press the boot button.

At that point, because you have no memory, you should get a quick
beep.  If you don't, then work with the hardware as-is to find the
problem.  Try changing the speed jumpers.  Try restoring the original
CPU.  etc.  Then install a single known-working DIMM.  At that point,
you should get the full BONG.  Then it will initialize your video,
and give you the various icons indicating it cannot find the HD, etc.

>Sandymac

Smit?  Tosmit!

HTH,
- Dan.  (On a Smurf)
--
- Psychoceramic Emeritus; South Jersey, USA, Earth