if it has os9 on it, you can boot it up with the extensions disabled,
(holding down the shift key) and disable extensions in groups until
you get a clean boot, there may be one that is hanging the system.  as
far as osx, as was recommended by another on this topic, the verbose
mode may also clue you in as to what is going wrong.  Good Luck.