On Mar 12, 2009, at 7:24 AM, insightinmind wrote:

> I'm guessing, but on my Yikes!, even with the LBA48 mode firmware
> patch, the Sonnet ATA100 still would not function as a >128GB drive
> PCI controller card, either for PATA drives or for the adapted SATA
> ones. Or would it?

The LBA48 property is added "persistently" (meaning, it stays
installed even after the machine is rebooted, or is powered-off), but
only to the on-mobo IDE channel(s). There is one LBA48 installer
script for the HD bus, and another for the optical bus, as these two
buses are usually 2:1 ... higher performance for the HD bus and lower
performance for the optical bus.

Once these properties have been "persistently" added, these are
present during booting, too, so you could ... theoretically ... boot
from a single-partition 500 GB drive.

The main difference between this and the "High-Cap kext" is the kext
is only available after booting has been completed, therefore it
cannot be used during the booting process itself, thereby forcing OS
X to reside "below the line".

The LBA48 property exists solely for the on-mobo ATA channels, and it
does not, and cannot be used for the-off-mobo channels, which are PCI
cards. Besides which, the off-mobo ATA channels are really being
modeled as SCSI and not as PATA, and there is no limit for a true
SCSI, although there is that very same 131,072 MB limit for a
simulated SCSI.

> Just buy a PCI SATA controller card?

Always an option, and as most new drive developments is being done on
SATA drives, this is the smart choice, although one with an
investment in large PATA drives might prefer the first choice, LBA48.