insightinmind wrote:
> Update on use of a certain SATA/IDE adapter direct plugin boards:
>

> On Mar 7, 2009, at 9:50 PM, insightinmind wrote:
>>>   Converts either direction, but needs more room($6.40 shipped)
>>>  http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=370165527548
>
>> I would be using it for a main drive off my QS Dual 1GHz ATA66 ... it
>> says it is for an ATA100/133 channel ... like the ones off my Sonnet
>> Tempo ATA/100 and Trio ATA133 PCI Cards.
>>
>> So it would not work off the mobo ATA channel ... but would most
>> likely work off the Sonnet ATA/IDE PCI cards?
>
> Considering the bidirectional SATA/IDE adapter (maybe the others,
> too) ... according to the Seller (Redtag folks):
>
> "Yes,it supports ATA 66,100 and 133."
> (perhaps that comes from "ATA/ATAPI Ultra DMA of transfer rate
> 16.7,25,33,48,66,100,1300, and 150MB/s.")
>
> I still question:    if my mobo does not support LBA48 addressing
> mode, will the adapter correct this?
> They claim:     ATA/ATAPI LBA48 addressing mode associated with 2-
> byte sector count.
>
> Another response from them states:
>
> "Yes,this adapter will function at ATA33. But it doesn't correct the
> lack of LBA48, can only work with LBA48 hard drive."
>
> I'm guessing this means if your mobo (or PCI IDE controller) doesn't
> acknowledge LBA48 mode, this adapter won't either, and If your mobo
> (or PCI IDE controller) does, then the adapter will translate
> accordingly.

SATA drives do not have the 128 Gb limitation.

The adapter will simply make your SATA drive appear as an PATA drive.
If the drive is larger than 128 Gb and the motherboard IDE controller
doesn't support LBA48 then you will be limited to accessing the first
128Gb of the drive unless you use one of the work arounds.

> Any experience?
>
> Just buy a PCI SATA controller card?

Yes.  You'll completely skip the 128Gb limit and most likely have faster
  transfers.

--
Clark Martin
Redwood City, CA, USA