On Mar 12, 2009, at 9:15 AM, jonas ulrich wrote:

> I just received an answer in regard to the discrepancy in the item
> description. He said: "In one part is says single core. That is
> correct there are 2 single core processors" Tell me if this is
> correct: The new macs like the macbook have only one processor, but
> it is a dual core. This quicksilver has two single core processors.
> Is this right? It still means that it is a dual processor, right?

All G4s are single-core.

The subject machine has two single-core processors, each of which has
2 MB of independent L3 cache (unlike the multi-core Intel Core 2
processors where all the L3 cache is shared between all cores).

So, you get two relatively independent processors, and with that you
can do some serious work.

However, just to place some numbers on the capabilities of the dual
1.0 GHz G4 and an Intel-based solutions (yes, Hacks), consider the
following, each example which is authoring a single-layer DVD from
the same source files which exceed the capacity of a single-layer
DVD, and which is about as compute-intensive as it gets:

1) Dual 1.0 GHz G4 -- 60 minutes [ 10.4.11, 1.5 GB 133 MHz RAM ]

2) Core 2 Duo E8400 running at 3.6 GHz -- 12.5 minutes (4.8 times as
fast) [ 10.5.5, 2 GB 800 MHz RAM ]

3) Core 2 Quad Q9400 running at 3.2 GHz -- 10 minutes ( 6 times as
fast) [ 10.5.6, 2 GB 800 MHz RAM ]

So, if you really want to pump the work through your machine, perhaps
you could consider an Intel solution.

As a practical matter, I still run a DA with a QS 2000 dual 1.0 GHz
processor, mainly for Mail.app and for Classic. Almost all other work
has been transferred to the Intels.

http://groups.google.com/group/hq-a <+> A home for the Hackintosh
community.

To subscribe to the HQ-A group, send email to hq-a
+subscr...@googlegroups.com