On Mar 12, 9:32 am, PeterH <peterh5...@rattlebrain.com> wrote:
> On Mar 12, 2009, at 9:15 AM, jonas ulrich wrote:
>

>  authoring a single-layer DVD from
> the same source files which exceed the capacity of a single-layer
> DVD,
I don't understand, you are overfilling it so it fails ?

> 1) Dual 1.0 GHz G4 -- 60 minutes [ 10.4.11, 1.5 GB 133 MHz RAM ]
>
> 2) Core 2 Duo E8400 running at 3.6 GHz -- 12.5 minutes (4.8 times as
> fast) [ 10.5.5, 2 GB 800 MHz RAM ]
>
> 3) Core 2 Quad Q9400 running at 3.2 GHz -- 10 minutes ( 6 times as
> fast) [ 10.5.6, 2 GB 800 MHz RAM ]

Are you sure this is the cpu rather than the drives ? are (all) the
drives exactly the same ?

> So, if you really want to pump the work through your machine, perhaps
> you could consider an Intel solution.

> As a practical matter, I still run a DA with a QS 2000 dual 1.0 GHz
> processor, mainly for Mail.app and for Classic. Almost all other work
> has been transferred to the Intels.

That's practical ?!  I  do more than that with 1/4 of the computer.
( today actually its 1/10 w/ the 97 g3 and yes its a little slow
sometimes, but mail is fine and so is my os9 stuff ...)

Its recommended some places I respect that you should choose mission
and objectives first then software then hardware. Its hard for me to
see that too well but I am slowly getting it I think (largely because
I have a lot of old macs and daily choosing the machine for the job).