Years ago, when I was a teenager, I worked in a gas station, and to
show you how long ago this was, we actually put the gas in the
customers' cars for them! They never even had to get out of the car!
And while the car was being gassed up, we also checked the engine oil,
the tire pressure, anything else we were asked to, and of course we
always cleaned the windshields (I know this sounds fantastic to the
current generation, who will accuse me of lying, but honest, you
really did get service like that, at ALL gas stations up through about
the late 1970s, when civilization declined into self-serve
everything).

It was while washing the windshields that I became acquainted with the
ugliness of cigarette smoke residue. I don't know how many drivers who
smoked asked me if I could please try to get some of that cloudy gumbo
off the inside of their windshield, so they could see through it a
little better. They would get out of the car, I would get in with my
spray bottle of cleaner and rag, and I'd spray and rub and spray and
rub trying to get that sticky, awful goo off the glass. And mostly all
I accomplished was to smear it around. We never found anything that
could really get it off. If anything confirmed my decision never to
smoke, that was it. Knowing that the inside of a smoker's lungs was
coated with that same filthy goo, even worse than the windshields,
drove home the health hazards of tobacco, as if the stinking clothes
of the driver and the smelly upholstery of his car weren't enough.

Trying to get that crud out of the inside of a computer, where fans
have sucked it in and deposited it all over, must be a real chore, if
it's really possible at all (how can you scrub or even wipe off all
those tiny electronic components). It sounds like all the disassembly
and monkeying around with the computer's parts might be as detrimental
to its workings as the smoke residue.

I would never knowingly buy the computer of a smoker.