Have you tried the regular fixes, such as reset Pram, reset PMU, ETC?
It almost sounds like just a software issue, or possibly the hard
drive. If you have the original install disks, there should be an
Apple Hardware Test, if you have that you might try running it and see
what it comes up with.

        -Cyrus