Dana Collins wrote:

*snip*

> On first boot of the DA's newly installed OS, Airport immediately
> recognized the ESSID of the router, and let me easily plug in the WEP
> password, set up a keychain, and launched connection with no problem -
> signal is clear as a bell. The Airport app shows that the unit is
> online for the network, and TCP/IP (set to Airport connection)
> generates an apparently good IP address (using DHCP-its a 169. series

*snip*

> Any thoughts? Should I do a manual IP configuration?
> Thanks for any input, sorry for the long-ish read.

No apologies needed, the amount of info you provided was very good.

As Dan stated, the 169.x IP range is bad.  From your description, this
sounds a lot like an encryption key problem.  In my experience, even if
the wifi client has associated with the access point, it doesn't mean
that the two are talking to each other.

Easiest thing to try first is to statically assign an IP to the DA.
This should help rule out a DHCP issue (which I have run into with OS 9).

If the static IP assignment doesn't help, next thing I would try is to
disable the encryption on the Actiontec and see if the DA and the
Actiontec can talk to each other.  Or check any logs that may be
viewable in the Actiontec itself, there might be some clues in there as
well.