On Apr 6, 2009, at 1:28 PM, Steve R wrote:

> My G3 iMac and B&W both have the 120GB limit, and I just partitioned
> the drives so that both partitions were less than 100GB. Why all the
> concern of getting the 128GB so exact?

One would think that the boundary wouldn't matter as long as you made
the partition smaller than 128GB. As far as that partition is
concerned, you're right - it won't make a difference. But if you have
a partition crossing that 128GB boundary, it could be in for a world
of trouble if the driver fails or the PRAM gets reset. Say for
instance you have a 160GB drive, and partition it with a 100GB and
60GB (OK, Kris, a 50GB) partition. If your hack gets zapped, your
100GB partition is still fully accessible by the Mac. But anything on
that 50GB partition could be corrupted if  any writes happen to it. If
your first partition ends exactly at the 128GB boundary, and you lose
your hack, no problemo.

Eric