At 1:48 PM -0500 4/6/09, Kris Tilford posted:
>  On Apr 6, 2009, at 1:28 PM, Steve R wrote:
>
>>  Why all the concern of getting the 128GB so exact?
>
>  The reason is that IF you're using the FULL size of the HD (i.e. a HD
>  GREATER than the 128 GB limit), you don't want any partition SPANNING
>  the 128 GB limitation point (spanning means having addresses on both
>  sides of the 128GB point). If a partition spans the 128 GB point and
>  something attempts to write to an address beyond the 128 GB point in a
>  situation where the HD can only recognize 128 GB (for example- the
>  firmware hack isn't present, or you're booting from a device lacking
>  the needed enabling software), then the write process will "wrap
>  around" and write to an address starting at the beginning of the
>  partition. This will effectively corrupt the HD and leave you with a
>  mess that you won't be able to salvage.

I guess I've been lucky. So, without using InTech tools, and say
having a 250GB hard drive, I could conceivably create a first
partition of 125GB, a second partition of 5GB that would remain
unused so nothing writes to it, and a third partition of the
remaining space? Or is when that 5GB gets corrupt, it also messes up
the other partitions?

Steve R