On Apr 27, 2009, at 1:11 PM, Anne Brataas wrote:

> Thanks for this on the UPS aspect of creating a maximally happy
> computer.
>
> How do I evaluate which UPS is best for my office?
>
>  I'm in a 100-year old stucco tudor building with irregular
> everything--never had a disaster, but it's a distinct possibility the
> way this place is held together with baling twine and beer tabs--and
> really I think I only truly care about the citizens of this list, the
> old 1.8 GZ/2GB/80 iMac, and the 1.0 GHZ/1.5 GB Quickbook dual
> processor, 2002, and the non-citizen of the list, my new 3.06GHZ/4GB/
> 500  iMac.
>
> The office has two non-Macs we made, and I'm willing to have them fend
> for themselves. And the PowerBook 1.25/1.5 GB/xxxx   I will take  care
> of with proper battery management, once I get its new hard drive in,
> correct?

APC has a nice little online form that will let you specify what
you're plugging in, how long of a run time you want (not really
important unless you get lots of blackouts or brownouts and want to
work through them) and a few other things, and they present a list of
suggested UPS'es.

I have an old BackUPS 400 unit at home, for a G4 tower, 19" monitor
and a handful of external devices, and at work I've got a BackUPS 900
for an Intel iMac, a monitor and a couple external HDD's. This is
overkill, since I get 25-30 minutes time on battery...all I really
need is enough time to shut down gracefully. Both do filtering and
voltage conditioning on the line voltage.

APC's SmartUPS ones are the most expensive, but give you the best
protection. One SmartUPS 1000 or 1200 may run you $400-$500, but it
will protect all your computers. These have active voltage regulation.

--
Bruce Johnson
University of Arizona