I knew about not plugging in laser printers. I just wanted to make
sure that this older model (Back-UPS Pro 280) was good enough
quality.I had been reading about how UPS's in general don't provide
very good quality power in a blackout, so I wanted to make sure I
didn't need an upgrade that way. I have two computers upstairs, each
on a Back-UPS Pro 280, and then in my basement lab (fiendish
experiment division), I have a Back-UPS Pro 420.

I don't think American Power Conversion makes either of these models
any more. They say they've moved to more energy efficient designs.

Does anyone know if the Tripp Lite  BC PRO450 is any good? Someone
gave me one with a dead battery, and I don't want to buy a new battery
if it's not worth using. The Back-UPS's I have all use the same
battery, but the Tripp Lite uses a smaller one.

I've also heard that these computer UPS's aren't meant for non-
computer equipment, such as stereos or aquarium pumps.