Hiya Listers,

I'm actually "upgrading" again soon. Just ordered 2 x 250 GB internal
ATA HDs from the Swap List. Also, since the FW died on my external HD
(which could stand to hold a much bigger HD than it does anyway) a few
months ago I'm finally going to move on rectifying THAT problem, too
(updating my backups with USB is sooo slow and it's been driving me crazy!).

Technical Memory Refresher on my main computer (with present HDs):

G4 867 Quicksilver with 2 internal HDs:

1. Nucleus -- OS X Tiger 10.4.9, 60 GB (came with this Mac originally).

2. Nucleolus -- OS X Panther 10.3.2, 20 GB (was pulled out of my Beige
G3 and transplanted in when I got the G4)

The current external HD:

Memory Prime -- 40 GB. Not bootable, just a data backup. I just kick
"updated" data over there from Nucleus or Nucleolus as required (Finder
copy). This has has always worked well for me thus far -- yes, I've
actually had to use stuff from this backup drive -- and yeah it "saved"
me, big time!

Obviously I'm planning to make Nucleus and Nucleolus 250 GB each. I
don't actually NEED anywhere near that amount of space at this time
(originally I'd been thinking 100-something GB internal HDs) but when I
saw these two 250 GB HDs reasonably priced on the Swap List, I decided
to go for them -- it can't hurt to have way more room than need -- just
like there's no such thing as "too much RAM," right?

I pretty much know how I COULD handle the internal HD changeover (when
my BF is next here to handle the physical removals/installations), but
have some questions about the external HD business, because I'm in still
in the process of deciding what exactly to buy (which enclosure, what
size HD to put in it/if I should buy one with a drive already in it) and
I'm also considering going the CCC route (I have yet to use CCC for
anything at this point) on the new external backup drive for
bootability. So here's the questions (most important considerations:
simplicity and cost effectiveness):

1. Is it preferable to buy an enclosure which already has the drive in
it, or to buy an empty enclosure and put a HD in it? I ask because I
notice the empty enclosures are so much more economical, and from my POV
at least (i.e., making sure I buy the right kind of HD for it -- I find
the choices overwhelming, and once I do figure out the right one, need
to have my BF do the actual physical installations for me).

2. I know my G4 likes internal ATA HDs (that's what it has now, and
that's what I ordered from the Swap List) -- is ATA, PATA, SATA, SATA-1,
SATA-2, eSATA (whatever those "extra" SATAs are: I know, Google is my
friend, and I do plan to ask him) a consideration for EXTERNAL HDS? I
ask because one of the external enclosures that caught my eye -- an OWC
Mercury Elite-AL Oxford 934 says it supports "any capacity SATA-1 or
SATA-2 HD: would my G4 recognize this even?

3. Can you use partitions on external HDs like you can with internal
ones? One thing i'm considering, if it's possible -- the external drive
"should be" a 500GB, split into two partitions of 250 GB, onto which I
CCC Nucleus (10.4.9) on one partition, and CCC Nucleolus (10.3.2) to the
other, so for the transfer of internal drives and future possible
emergency. I'm thinking to "do" the external HD first, partition it, CCC
existing contents of Nucleus and Nucleolus as described, then (once I'm
sure a CCC backup works), wipe the little drives and replace with the
big ones, onto which I CCC the stuff from the external to the new
internals (partition one to Nucleus, partition two to Nucleolus).  So is
this possible with my G4, and if so, is it a good idea?

4. Naturally, sticking with the familiar also tempts me. I saw an Iomega
eGo Portable USB/Firewire which comes with a 250 GB drive already in it
got my attention also, and I must say it's tempting to buy that (I had
nothing but good experiences in the past with my Iomega Zip drives) and
continue my backup system as simple external data storage.

It should be noted that in addition to the data backups I keep
well-maintained, I also have the boot/installation disks for both Tiger
and Panther (just as I had 'em for my prior OS's) -- plus 10.4.9 and
10.3.9 combo updaters, although I found that the 10.3.2 direct from the
CDs work fine for the one reason I need Panther. This is why I focused
so heavily on data backup, rather than bootable backup. I COULD say that
I "don't need" external bootable HDs because I never HAVE needed them
before, but long long ago in a galaxy far away, I didn't think I needed
data backups either, and oh boy was THAT a mistake!

Whaddya all think? Any other recommendations and insights?

Thanks,

~Yersinia.