Hi all

G4 1.25 GHz Dual FW800 with 2 GB RAM and 4 internal ATA hard disks (2 x 100 GB
and 2 x 500 GB) on the internal ATA busses.
There is also an LG Super Multi DVD/CD burner (dual layer) on the internal
ATAPI buss in the upper optical drive tray.
There is a Tiger 10.4.11 boot drive and a Leopard 10.5.7 boot drive.

I can't seem to get a Liteon iHAS422-31 8 22X "Super Allwrite" SATA DVD/CD
burner to work as a second optical drive (burner) in either version of OSX.

I have a "Professional I/O" 4 way SATA RAID controller card in slot 5
The card came with Silicon Image driver and RAID controller software for Mac

The G4 sees the PCI card (and driver) in System Profiler but does not see the
burner in Disk Burning or under Serial ATA.
Toast Titanium Pro 10 and Disk Utilities don't see it either.

The Silicon Image software Management software will not start up - it says it
can't detect the presence of a RAID controller.

The burner is powering but OPTION-EJECT doesn't open or close the lower optical
drive tray.

I have an identical Liteon DVD (SATA) burner as a second burner in a Mac Pro
running 10.5.7 - this burner works perfectly straight out of the box with no
driver install needed - but the optical drive bays in the Mac Pro are SATA
cabled anyway. The Mac Pro's 10.5.7 Disk Utility and Toast Titanium Pro 10 both
correctly identify the Liteon burner - it works fine.

So, do I need a driver of some sort for the SATA Liteon ?  They, of course,
only provide PC drivers !
However, I have never had a problem with internal IDE (ATAPI) Liteon DVD or CD
writers in any Mac. I have never needed to install any drivers!
Toast Titanium and older versions of Toast and Jam have always recognised the
Liteon devices.

Any suggestions ?

My guess is that the PCI SATA controller card could possibly be faulty…

I could always put the burner in an external Firewire/USB 2.0 case - I'm sure
that would work!
However, I would prefer not to have any more clutter in my setup !

Any assistance would be most welcome !

Rick