On Tue, Jun 9, 2009 at 4:30 PM, Dan <dantear...@gmail.com> wrote:

> At 1:12 PM -0700 6/9/2009, Josh Keady wrote:
> >On Jun 9, 7:25 am, Dan <dantear...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >  > OS X is NOT "intel only".  It builds nicely for a number of
> architectures.
> >
> >It builds nicely, the core, but it's not as simple as just clicking
> >Build and having the OS all ready to go, surely you know that.  You
> >can compile Darwin for several different architectures but the Mac
> >OS it doesn't make.
>
> I never said anything about the released Darwin code.  The subject is
> the full OS, as built by Apple internally.
>
> >How is this a marketing move?  They want that lucrative Power PC-
> >owning market share?  Or new users will say "Phew, thank God they
> >don't support that crusty old PPC hardware anymore, I'm finally ready
> >to buy?"  It just does not make enough sense for them ton continue
> >developing on the Power PC side.  It doesn't.
>
> Screwing existing customers is always a good way to make them buy
> you're latest offering.

I imagine there are some poor art directors out there who put their asses on
the line 3 years ago and got there bosses tospend heavily on multicore G5s
with all the trimmings.

Does Apple really expect them to now put their asses on the line again to
recommend buying Mac Pros after curtailing the productive life of expensive
machinery?  Hard enough to expect in good times but in a near depression?

Apple is crazy and somewhere business owners are angry.