On 6/14/09 6:54 AM, "Dan" <dantear...@gmail.com> Broadcast into the ether:

> No, not the rest of the world.  Top posting is fine for light
> conversational chatting, where context is relatively unimportant.
> All other threads should be bottom posted and trimmed.

True even in my workplaces.  Only an emergency would be top posted.  Same
when I worked at Apple (the mothership).

> Another issue with top posting is that is *discourages* trimming.
> That means messages grow and grow, to contain a lot of useless
> headers and other unnecessary drivel.  That's ok, maybe, if ALL your
> participants have high speed network connections.  But it screws the
> ones that pay per minute or per KB.

Perfect point. Some guy in Wyoming has to pay for all that noise you throw
at them unnecessarily.  These lists are to help people, not cause them to go
over their bandwidth cap and leave.

> Why switch back and forth at all?  Keep in mind one basic rule:
> Every email message should have more signal than noise.
> - Dan.

Exactly.  Interleaved (as above) or bottom posting is the way to go.  I work
closely with the North Face world HQ, Cost Plus World Market world HQ, Apple
etc....they all have their preferred posting methods in the employee manuals
(which I have to read and sign of on even as a contractor).  And bottom
posting or interleaved is what they insist upon.  Your workplace may be
different, but with Apple especially, and I am saying this NOT at the list
members, at Apple if you top post (unless it's an emergency) they consider
you an idiot.

It's the younger twitterrers that are trying to change the rules.  This all
started with the Instant Messaging that teens use most. I will admit that I
IM when I am at the store and forgot what my wife asked me to pick up as I
was walking out the door with the list and have forgotten.

What is killing it for us the internet users in general...not the list) is
"what are you doing now...?  I am getting coffee, are you gona come over
later ...maybe...this girl is hot...check out the pic I just sent. etc."
Because this sucks bandwidth and is relatively irrelevant.

Very well put Dan. And I say that not just because you agree with
me...because you have valid points.

Kyle Hansen
--
This is the way the world ends...not with a bang, but a twitter.