Howdy,
  HTML is rejected by most lists I am on.  How well does this demime
work?  It might be friendlier than rejecting.
  I think a better approach to 2 is to limit the quoted text to a
percentage.  In a very long response, it might be reasonable to have
more than 20 quoted lines.
 I had never heard of the List-id header.  Thanks.  I am going to have
to check the lists I am responsible for to see that they implement it.
Have a good day,
Ralph