On Jun 20, 2009, at 6:47 PM, Len Gerstel wrote:

> Powerlogix made a dual 933 back in 2003 and probably into 2004.
>
> FWIW, I have a Powerlogix dual 1.2GHz in my DA (originally a 533)
> running Leopard.

Sounds right.

Right now, Freescale is making 1.4 MHz and slower G4s, and that's
about all. Gone are the days of factory 1.5, 1.6, 1.8 and 2.0 GHz G4s

Any faster ones are overclocked chips which have been hand-selected
by the OEM vendor.

There is always a "sweet spot" for price-performance.

At one point, this was 1.2 GHz on third party single G4 replacement
processors for 100 and 133 MHz bus G4s.

At that particular point, I elected to go with dual 1.0 GHz Apple
Quicksilver 2002 processors, and I was not disappointed.

That is, until the Intels came out.

I mean, of course, the Hackintosh Intels, not the "Mackintosh" Intels.

After numerous benchmarks of various kinds of CD and DVD authoring
and duplication, it came down to these basic stats:

1) a greater than 4.7 GB DVD compressed down to within a 4.7 GB DVD
in about 60 minutes, using a dual 1.0 GHz G4 "Mackintosh" under Tiger
(10.4.11), and

2) a greater than 4.7 GB DVD compressed down to within a 4.7 GB DVD
in about 12.5 minutes, using a dual 3.6 GHz C2D or a 3.2 GHz C2Q
Hackintosh, under Leopard (10.5.6 or 10.5.7).

With a nearly five-to-one advantage (wall clock time) in favor of
Hackintoshes, I converted all my CD and DVD work over to Hacks.

I still have one dual 1.0 GHz G4 "Mack" in use, primarily for
Mail.app and also for running the Classic versions of Photoshop and
Acrobat creator.

Everything else goes on the Hacks.

Also, I have gone away from my 500 MHz Pismo with 1 GB of RAM.

I am now using a OCZ Neutrino (Intel Atom-based "build it yourself"
Netbook) with 2.0 GB of RAM, built-in WiFi, built-in iCam, built-in
card reader, builtin Express-34 slot for Firewire and eSATA
expansion, and all the other goodies one expects from a Netbook
running Leopard 10.5.7.

http://groups.google.com/group/hq-a <+> A home for the Hackintosh
community.

To subscribe to the HQ-A group, send email to hq-a
+subscr...@googlegroups.com