On 6/21/09 7:50 PM, jomac of eoj...@gmail.com sent

> is it possible to put a faster apple processor in a digital audio
> 466mhz power mac?  apple processors are available on ebay pretty
> cheap, and i'd like to know if this is a viable alternative to a non-
> apple upgrade?  if it can be done, what is the fastest apple processor
> that will work in my model.
> thanks

Hello Jonas,
Others with more experience than I will most likely chime in, but I know
this: you're simplest no fuss CPU swap is to look for a Dig. Audio 733 MHz
unit, the highest and latest offered for that particular model. It is really
a very nice CPU, having a built-in Level 3 cache as part of the CPU's design
(this actually makes it an even better CPU than the 733 MHz QuickSilver,
which came later, and did away with the L3 cache). AFAIK, all Dig. Audio
CPUs are interchangeable, and (perhaps) even use the same heat sink and
shroud/fan.
With a little hacking, you can even use QuickSilver CPUs in a Dig. Audio
(netting you say, an 800+ MHz CPU), but these do require physical
modification to be able to get them onto the motherboard - the socket,
however, is the same.
HTH,
Dana