On 7/4/09, Bill Connelly <billycarm...@verizon.net> wrote:

> On Jul 4, 2009, at 7:37 PM, Stephen Conrad wrote:
>

>> OK, I am on a B&W G3 (Smurf) and it had 1.53 GB left on the HD
>> OS X 10.2.8 (new computer is going to be here soon)
>> I only have the following open: Opera, Safari, Terminal and TextEdit
>> Suddenly I get a message saying I have no more HD space free (it is
>> down to 40.8 MB)
>> I have only downloaded 2 small pictures (Daily Kitten) and earlier I
>> took some stuff off the HD and put them onto a flash disk (to free up
>> a little more space).
>>
>> What could be causing this? It is a recent issue and I have even less
>> tabs open than before this ever happened.
>>
>> Earlier I ran DiskUtility but it stopped and after 30 minutes of it
>> not advancing (it froze the machine so a reboot was necessary). I
>> rebooted the machine
>>
>> I do NOT have the 10.2 CDs
>

> This might sound obvious. but did you also empty the Trash after you
> made more room?
>
> 40.8MB isn't anything relative to hard disk space. Sure that wasn't
> memory left while running several apps?
>
> Browsers have caches and things that I believe are on the hard
> drive ... and they grow/shrink as they are programmed to do.
>
> I've read somewhere if your free hard drive space is less than 50% of
> the total, you might even have trouble running OS X ... don't know the
> facts here, but you need more free space just to run OS X ... after
> the space taken up by the Installation. I  think its called Virtual
> RAM cache. 40.8MB if you are talking about hard drive space, just
> isn't enough, AFAIK.
>
> Maybe others can help ... using applejack comes to mind, but I cannot
> advise you how to do that ...

Yes, I emptied the Trash
Opera has its Cache set to 20MB
I don't see what it is in Safari (I checked all the Preferences)
In Safari I just turned off Java and JavaScript (I had always had them
left Enabled as that was Default)

I did try (after a Reboot) to see if Process Viewer would be of any help
Here are the biggies (nothing was running but ProcessViewer)

                                       %CPU      %Mem
ProcessViewer                   13.80        0.40
ATSServer                         27.**         0.20    (It was 27.something)
(Later on it said)                  0.30         0.20
-> I have no idea what this is

--
Steve Conrad
Henrietta, MO 64036

"The time has come for mankind to grow up and leave its cradle behind;
to go forth and claim our place in outer space."
                   - Capt. Henry Gloval

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")