If I'm not mistaken, I've read that the Smurf G3 can accept drives
natively up to 128 gigabytes - and these are not proprietary drives. So
any standard PATA IDE drive off the shelf (not SATA!) under that drive
size limit should work just fine. I can vouch personally for the cloning
software SuperDuper, having used it to clone a drive in my G4, others
have recommended CCC - either way, replacing your currently stuffed
drive with a larger hard drive is the way I'd go here.

Just my two and a half cents-
Anna