2009/7/7 Bruce Johnson <john...@pharmacy.arizona.edu>:

> On Jul 7, 2009, at 7:00 AM, Liam Proven wrote:
>
>> Well, true, but for how long under Oracle's reign?
>
> A while I'd think.
>
> This was a valuable part of Sun to Oracle, (they bought Sun because
> Oracle is completely dependent on Java now, and has been since the
> 8i-9 transition, this way they control that bit.)
>
> LOTS of big-iron Oracle databases run on Sun clusters. This way they
> can sell the whole widget: an industrial-sized Oracle appliance.

Personally, I think Sun's /hardware/ was wanted & will be valuable to
Oracle. But remember that Sun also makes AMD and Intel x86-64 kit. I
reckon /that/ is what the new owners will be interested in. SPARC
doesn't offer a significant performance boost now unless your apps
need lots of threads, where the Niagara chips have a distinct edge -
for now. But that kind of code is fairly rare.

> Plus Sun was dirt-cheap. (I laugh, thinking back to the days when all
> the pundits were breathlessly suggesting that Sun buy Apple.)

Indeed. Very sad.

 > I'm more concerned about all the OSS that Sun was nurturing:
> VirtualBox, OpenOffice, Java, etc.
>
> Unless Oracle's looking to take a run at the utopian dream of the thin
> client, and take on Microsoft in Microsoft's home court, I suspect
> those things will eventually be spun off, or simply dropped off
> outside Sourceforge, with a note attached "Please take care of this
> orphaned Open Source".

Good point; I agree.

I think Larry Ellison /really/ hates Gates & Microsoft, and will do
what he can to twist the knife, /so long as/ it doesn't cost him money
or business. And FOSS is a useful anti-MS weapon. So they might well
embrace it.

I hope so, anyway.

One thing Sun could assemble, fairly readily, would be a killer
large-enterprise messaging solution. A far more scalable back-end
server than Exchange, coupled via an instant-push-delivery protocol to
a premium-grade client app. This would not actually be hard to do, but
nobody's ever done it.

Email: lpro...@cix.co.uk • GMail/GoogleTalk/Orkut: lpro...@gmail.com
MSN: lpro...@hotmail.com • ICQ: 73187508