Hi!

On Monday, 20th of July 2009, Clark Martin wrote:
> Mac User #330250 wrote:
> > Hello PeterH!
> > Hi everyone!
> >
> > On Sunday, 19th of July 2009, PeterH wrote:
> >> Practically, is has been possible to add the required LBA48
> >> properties to the Open Firmware facility for quite a number of G4
> >> Macs, and possibly also for ALL "New World" Macs, of which the very
> >> first was the B&W G3.
> >>
> >> The LBA48 properties are free, and work on any supported MacOS X.
> >
> > Thanks! That worked.
> > So in the end the KeyLargo driver works anyway, but checks the Open
> > Firmware properties and refuses to support LBA-48 if such is not found.
> > Nice. I would have thought that Apple made the driver
> > (AppleKeyLargo.kext) realize that EVERY KeyLargo ATA-5 and ATA-3 bus
> > supports this and thus would activate it, with or without an Open
> > Firmware device property.
>
> The OS X driver doesn't load until later.  The OF patch loads before the
> HD is accessed.  What would happen if, for example, AppleKeyLargo.kext
> was stored above 128Gb.  Or any other file that needs to load before
> that driver.

The OF patch doesn't load. It is not a driver, it is just a device property.
The fact that it is so easily rewritten with a change to the nvram
(Non-volatile random access memory) makes me even more angry that the
AppleKeyLargo kernel extension (.kext, aka driver) doesn't make this happen
all by itself.

To me (*IMHO*) this is a fake limitation, as there really is no limitation
to "New World" Power Macs before the Quicksilver 2002.

Greetings,
Andreas  aka  Mac User #330250