Hi!

I would like to know if the limit of the pre-Quicksilver 2002 Power Macs is a
hard limit or whether it can be managed to access beyond this barrier.

I have a Quicksilver 2001, the 733 MHz model with an OWC Mercury Extreme G4
CPU Upgrade to 1,467 MHz and 1.5 GB of RAM. This doesn't look so bad, if only
the hard drives could be larger. (The orginial disk is gone, an old 40 GB
drive was installed which I removed.)

My Power Mac: http://lowendmac.com/ppc/quicksilver-power-mac-g4.html

The HDD I currently use was installed in a MDD Dual 1 GHz, which doesn't have
the 128 GB limit. The size of the drive is 180 GB.

Now in the Quicksilver 2001, the drive shows in System Profiler as a 128 GB
drive. Mac OS X 10.4.11 Tiger is installed at the beginning of the disk on an
80 GB partition, so no problem there. I don't dare to access beyond, since
the partitions are Ext2 filesystems (Linux) and I fear data corruption.

I've read two contrary statements about the limit of 128 GB:

Saying NO:
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2544
http://forums.xlr8yourmac.com/action.lasso?-database=faq.fp3&-layout=FaqList&-response=answer.faq.lasso&-recordID=34188&-search

Saying YES:
http://lowendmac.com/macdan/05/1024.html
http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/IDE/big_ide_drive_support.html#storytop

Although I cannot see if the Quicksilver users reporting that large drives
work are really using the 2001 model.

Anyone know more about this?

Greetings to the g-list!
I appreciate to be participating now. (This is my first posting.)
Mac User #330250  alias  Andreas