On Jul 26, 2009, at 7:47 PM, Stephen Conrad wrote:

> On 7/26/09, Len Gerstel <lgers...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> On Jul 26, 2009, at 6:18 PM, Stephen Conrad wrote:
>>

>>> I am purchasing the following:  Quicksilver G4 800 w/512 MB RAM
>>>

>>> Also, it has one HD and I want to add a 2nd one.
>>>
>>> My spare HDs
>>> ===========
>>> Generic 120.0 GB 7200 RPM
>>> Samsung SP0802N (S/N S00JJ40Y371416)   -> Listed on it as "probably
>>> bad" but I'd still check it out
>>> WD Caviar 22500 AT Compatible Intelligent Drive
>>> WD Caviar 12100 EIDE
>>>
>>> Will any of these work in it?
>>
>> What interface is the generic? 120GB is a decent size depending on
>> what you want to do
>
> This is the barcode on top of it: 52120924
> On the front italso has this:
> Capacity: 120.0 GB  7200 RPM
> Rating 12V   0.40A  5V   0.50A
> On the bottom I have this barcode: 0000 001092-200 J   X W 140J AX1H 5
> 00 04 2 0   3124

Unfortunately, that tells me nothing. Look at the the interface. If it
is a 40 pin like the existing drive or the Samsung or WDs, it should
work fine.

>> Samsung SP0802N Probably bad?? Wind chimes or play with the magnets.
>> Do not waste time or data on a probably bad drive.
>
> I just was gonna see if it works or not, not try to save data on it

So, if it works, what are you going to do with it? Trust the label.

>> WD Caviar 22500 or 12100?? 2.5 and 2.0GB respectively. What would you
>> do with something that small?
>
> See if they work and then store text file on them perhaps. Not use
> them for everyday things like browsing the interweb.
> If I have an HD might as well make use of it.  :)

With drives of this age, you tend to run into a lot of "Sticktion"
Failures, where the platters don't spin up anymore. Best to use them
with the Samsung for a nice set of wind chimes and refrigerator magnets.

>> The processor is the real bottleneck in this system. The 800 did not
>> have a L3 cache and benchmarks out at about the level of a 650MHz
>> with
>> L3. You will probably get better bang for the buck by installing a
>> Dual 1GHz than installing a better video card. According to the
>> Geekbench results in MacTracker, the 800 gets a 419, while the dual
>> 1GHz gets an 833 and my DA with a dual 1.2 from OWC and a 9600 pro
>> gets a 986.
>
> How hard is it to install this?

Pretty easy. Remove the heatsink clip, then the heatsink, unscrew 4
screws and pull the current processor out. Clean off the old heat sink
compound on the replacement  processor and heat sink (a paper towel is
fine). Carefully align the new processor ands push it in place.
Install 4 screws. put a little dab of heat sink compound on the
processors and place the heat sink on top. Secure the heat sink with
the clip provided. Briefly press the CUDA button then start up.

Len